Sunday, April 27, 2008

Spring, Saturday, Sun, and Seafood?

Spring was back! For one day, at least. I'll take what I can get! On Saturday, my sister and I brought out My Boy and Fritzy for a ride in the arena. The horses were mellow because of the warm sun, and we were happily surprised to be wearing tank tops and sunscreen again. My sister had a couple of good rides on Fritzy this week and is feeling her confidence began to grow more and more with this mare. My Boy was a good boy. We worked mostly on our softening to the bit exercise.

Here I am practicing my "Pony Whisperer" moves. Not too hard when your horsey is sleepy from the warm sun!


Wake up, My Boy!! Fritzy is making her move. These two turned out together would be quite a pair. Both are a bit dominate. I wonder which one would would come out victorious?



After their workouts, these two were content to just nap in the sun!


Okay....first came bull-dozing the alder trees. Then came the burn piles. Then came moving dirt. Then came the fill dirt. Then came arena paneling. Then came dragging the arena and picking copious amount of rocks. Then came a picnic table for the peanut gallery. Next up: a place for Pony Girl and Paint Girl to put all of their horsey stuff while riding!! Everything is a work in progress....

After a day of riding, we headed to the neighbor's for a BBQ and bonfire. The BBQ consisted of 50 lbs of oysters. Pony Girl does not eat oysters, even if they are soaked in butter and garlic. However, she does partake in homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie and vanilla bean ice-cream!


On Sunday, the heavens decided to drip a bit, but I still got My Boy out for a light workout before it got too wet. I also dewormed him, using a pellet wormer. I have never used a pellet wormer before. Any opinions on this type of wormer? Since it the type of wormer I needed to use this time in the rotation, I thought it would be worth a try rather than struggle with the paste tube. My Boy was happy to gobble it down mixed with a handful of his supplement and probiotics. My Boy, spring's visit appears to be short and I may not be back to see you for a few days....have a good week!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great day! I was supposed to go on a trail ride on Saturday and got horses loaded and went to start the truck and nothing. Both batteries were dead! UGH so no trail ride! I was reading the post about your sister and her fear of the mare. My mare hates it when she gets stung and she will buck, but she has only done that twice since I have owned her. I have had her for 5 years. It sounds like that is what happened with her and the horse as well. I really pay attention to bees, wasps, etc. when I ride her. And the best thing is for her to keep on getting on her and building up her confidence and trust in her horse. Some people swear by the things (it has left my mind what they are actually called!) that you hang on the girt to repel flies, bugs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally LOVE sleepy horses. The sleepier, the better. More like - the sleepier, the less likely they are to do something ridiculous.

    My Boy is soooo cute! I leased an appaloosa when I was a kid, and he had more personality than any other horse I've ever spent time with.

    I don't know how I could handle living so far away from my horse! But I guess you've got to do what you've got to do. Your guy definitely seems worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute boy you have!!!! He is so handsome! Good luck with him! Thanks for visiting my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KRIS, we almost went on a trail ride too, but skipped out and since it ended up raining it was a good choice! Sorry to hear you missed yours, maybe next weekend?! HAFFIE GIRL, board is nearly free at my sister's (I buy my own feed) and anywhere from $600 and up where I live...so it's the best option for me right now. One thing is for sure, I make sure I have a great collection of CD's to listen to during my drive! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin