Monday, June 15, 2009

Random Monday Catch-Up

I am done with my two weeks of cat sitting. Cats are easy but I am used to horse hair, not cat hair! Which flies up and all over hardwood floors and sticks to everything, let me tell you!

I did make it up to see My Boy. I groomed him, put conditioning cream on his dry hooves (something we don't usually have to do until August around here!) He's developed a small horizontal crack in the middle of his front right hoof. He had something similar when I first started leasing him. I'm not sure if it's a sand crack or he gouged it somehow.

My horse's sarcoid is still healing, but irritating him less. He has a strange looking scab, like dried molten lava. At this point I can not tell if it will fall off or it is part of a new sarcoid. I am hoping to get a bridle back on him this week. I don't think it will rub the sarcoid now. I won't have the vet out until I see what happens with how this scab heals, she said to give it a few weeks.

My horse was a bit confused as I left him in his pasture and went up to the arena without him. I watched Paint Girl show me her progress with Fritzy and the groundwork techniques she's been using. Fritzy has come a long way in a few short weeks! This mare has never been one to stay in her own space. She is not aggressive, just a friendly pocket pony who needed some better ground manners. I think Paint Girl was really inspired by the Clinton Anderson clinic we recently attended. I know I was! I even bought Paint Girl a pink handy stick (like a carrot stick.)

I have now seen the following horse clinicians: Pat/Linda Parelli, Buck Brannaman, and Clinton Anderson. I have learned something from all of them. I think I can really appreciate the groundwork that they all use as the foundation of their programs. Clinton really stresses safety and respect from the horse. And many of his techniques are a lot like Parelli, just different names (and he doesn't call them 'games.')

I loved Clinton's sense of humor. He did a trailer-loading demonstration that was textbook perfect. Kind of makes me feel frustrated though, because he made it look SO easy and I know it was not easy! That mare was almost on top of him several times and she probably would've flattened little old me. Clinton, and these other clinicians, have such a good sense of timing. I think part of it is natural talent, and part of it is just from the experience of working with hundreds and hundreds of horses. That is what makes them such great horseman.

Well, it's another week. I hope it's a good one!

18 comments:

  1. You seem less stressed ,I hope . Glad the Sarcoid seems to be healing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice day. Can't wait to see you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl....Clinton is a cowboy and I am pretty sure he isn't married. Hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about Clinton making it look easy! He makes it look like a monkey can do it, and then when I stumble in my first few seconds, I think, What the heck is wrong with me? Clinton is really my favorite, but I learn so much from all of then. I saw a Parelli Show for two days in person, and it was so entertaining--he played music, and had his mini ponies and dogs come out. He was grooving to his music so the little fringe on his chaps was swinging around! So fun! I have learned a lot of very practical stuff from the Parelli's. My fiend Bill's fave is Chris Cox. Probaby because he's very cowboyish and tough.
    I hope that sarcoid continues to self destruct!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It used to make me really crazy that the clinicians could always make everything look so easy but then I thought about the conditions - they have no pressure to "go" anywhere. Sure, they have some time constraints since it's a "show" but if one trick doesn't work, they stay calm and just try another one! When we are trailering it's usually because we have to get our horse some place as a certain time and the closer that time, inevitably the horse won't load! So of course, we get frustrated much faster which the horse reads loud and clear...wicked cycle!

    But you do sound better and more relaxed. Was kitty sitting all that stressful?


    http://mx-paints.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw linton in Sacrmento years ago, at tge Horse Expo. Also saw John Lyons..and others too. I liked John and Clinton best..both were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry for the typo's

    typing on a little keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think, only a couple more days of school, than you can come ride with me!
    I am very excited to see Fritzy doing well with her ground work training, she is a little slow at learning and doesn't move her feet well, but she is getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. IMO not one clinician has all the right answers for any one person. I think its great that you've gotten to see a few different ones live. We don't really get the 'big names' around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even realize he was in my area, until it was too late. Clinicians are always fun and inspiring to watch, aren't they??
    Glad you and Paint Girl were able to learn something from him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clinton Anderson is probably my favorite clinican. I'd love to go to one of his clinics! I watch him on RFD all the time and use his techniques when working with my 2 year old, Piper. It's amazing how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer about the hoof crack. I love Clinton too. He does a great tour and is even better if you can catch one of his clinics. My one complaint about him, I don't think his techniques always work for left-brained horses. But, I am still a big fan and would never pass up a chance to go watch him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a great day with your georgeous boy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I attended a Clinton clinic too. It was a birthday present from my Dad. I really learned a lot.

    I had a problem loading Murphy at the park on Saturday. Someone got hurt on the trails (not too serious) and a fire truck, two police cars, an ambulance, and two fire department emergency response vehicles showed up with sirens and lights going. Almost caused a few more injuries. Would be fun to see Clinton work in those conditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I think that just knowing very clearly what you expect a horse to do will communicate that to the horse. You might need to go through the "steps" until it's very clear in your own mind. A really good horseman just communicates better than the rest of us, who are always questioning ourselves. The only thing I don't like about all these instructors is watching the rest of us try to bumble through what we've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope things are calming down for you PG..Yes it is great to hear about your Clinton experience! He is great!!

    I'm not sure how your ground is there or maybe you've already heard this but I thought I'd pass this old school trick to you for your boys hooves. Where ever his water tank is you can make a mud pit right around it, when they drink their hooves will sit in that and get coated in the mud. It's like a natural conditioning, and it works really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not crowding me is an oft repeated lesson with Poco, and we're overdue. He just likes being close. But that's how you get stepped on, and yes, I speak from experience :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin