Friday, June 26, 2009

Over The Meadow and Through The Woods....


.....to Grandmother's house they didn't go.

However, my mom got to get OUT and ride a few times while I was there. By OUT I mean out of the arena and into the meadows and along some trails.

Let me explain why this is meaningful. I am very envious of the stable my mom boards her gelding at, because it has a nice large indoor arena. Fully enclosed. You can ride when the weather is foul. Even if it gets dark at 4 p.m. or rains for 33 days straight.

The one downside of her stable is that there is no place to ride outside. No outdoor arena, not even an outdoor round pen. So when it is beautiful and sunny and the birds are chirping and you can smell fresh cut hay or the dew on the grass, you are stuck inside the rather dreary indoor arena.

There are a lot of trails right beyond the fields of the stable, but they are also accessible to ATV's and the like, so it requires a secure horse and a riding buddy for safety's sake.

To make a long story short, my mom and her stable friend/manager/mentor/man of all trades, Tony, have been riding in one of the horse pastures. They took this a step further and rode through the pasture, off the farm, and around the "trails." My dad was the gate keeper and videographer, while I was the photographer and got some fun shots of their adventures, which you can see here on my photo blog. My mom also wrote about her rides and posted videos here on her blog.

My mom and Tony really enjoyed getting out of the arena and hitting the big wild green yonder! Nothing soothes the soul like a great ride outside. It's a great change of pace for the horses too, keeps them fresh and happy!

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad mom got to get out of the arena and ride! I know she has been wanting to get out on the trails! Way to go, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great that she got to get out!! Yes that would be dreary to only ride inside..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she is coming along with her copperpony. Too bad you didn't have your boy there to go along with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for your mom getting out on the trails. It IS so good for the soul. I think if our nation went on trail rides we would eradicate Prozac! I am going to head over to Pony Girl Pictures for the visual story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that your mom got the chance to ride out in the open. Enclosed arenas are great in the Winter, but they're a bummer in the Spring and Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great for your mom! .This is so nice , to read about such a close and loving family . Each of you share your stories in a way that makes me feel like I was right there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for your mom! She is looking good on that copper pony

    ReplyDelete
  8. {Trailboss}~ My sister and I are hoping to trailer down and ride with her one day this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is a trade off isn't it. Glad she is out and about on the pony ! By the way, love the banner on your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally true about how good it is to get outside to ride. So glad your Mom was able to get out. Better yet to get to an actual trail with changes from woods to meadows to creeks and so on. It's why I'm hunting so hard to find a place to board eventually that is riding accessible to a trail system. I'm not going to be stuck with just a riding arena ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful that your mother got out for a ride! Have a great weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know much about Horses being a true CITY GAL, etc.... But when I was about 12 my grandparents were caretakers of a little place in Southern California where horseback riding was offered to the novice. I decided while visiting them (WITHOUT PERMISSION!) to walk down to one of the corrals alone. I climbed right up on a bare-back horse and thought I'd "ride" around for a bit. What a stupid, stupid girl I was!

    Because the horse I chose to get up on wasn't trotting fast enough I decided to "gently" tap her on her sides with my legs. She started running so fast and trashing to and fro...she ended up bucking me off after about 4 minutes of terror (there was no saddle). My 70 pound body (I was very little) was tossed into the railing and I nearly broke my neck. I was laid-up for three week with a bruised collarbone and ripped up arm and shoulder. I found out later the horse was pregnant...about ready to give birth. If I hadn't been so injured I would have surely gotten into soooo much trouble.

    It was years before I rode a horse again. Now my hubby and routinely ride on the property of friend. My favorite outing was in Durango, Colorado where we got to ride up in the mountains with a guide. It was beautiful...

    This was a beautiful Post! I loved my visit.

    Blessings...Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  13. An indoor is quite nice but it's awesome to be out and about, especially when the weather suits!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wouldn't it be so great to have an indoor ring AND a bunch of trails outside your back door? Now that would be the life.
    I sure wish we had an indoor riding area at my horse guy, Bill's. I am always yammering at him to put one in and he always replies that he doesn't think his wife would like a big ole arena spoiling her view of their beuatiful land! I see his point, but I do know if we had an indoor ring, this rain wouldn't be half as upsetting as it is!
    PS I love that banner for your blog. The photo is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun!

    I left a comment for you..actually two...on your photo blog.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day! Its so much fun riding outside an arena! Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can get to an arena if I choose to in the winter but I find it SO boring I hardly ever do. Give me the great outdoors anytime. I'm glad she got out for a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad that your mom and Doc Tony are getting out and about exploring the area! maybe by the time I come up with The King and Little Lady we can really go out and ride those trails!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin