Luckily my horse is pretty particular about what he eats when grazing. His pasture is also full of buttercups, which are also toxic to horses. In our damp climate it is impossible to keep them from spreading. My horse won't eat them, he'll nibble the grass all around them. Any tips on killing them off in a natural, organic way?
Luckily the foxgloves pull up easy by the roots. Out in the "meadow", behind My Boy's pasture, I found many more. There were white ones.
Oh goodness, look! The wild daisies are starting to bloom!
I truly appreciate all of your input, stories, and advice on hay. Paint Girl was working the day we went, so I'd offered to help get hay. I have repeatedly told Paint Girl I was sorry I helped purchase hay that spoiled (it was not moldy when we bought it, it was damp and subsequently molded in the following two weeks.) I wish Paint Girl would have been there, perhaps the two of us could have put our two smart horsey woman brains together and stood our ground on purchasing the hay!
A temperature probe would be a good investment. The article I read suggested sticking an iron rod down into the middle of the bale, leaving it there for ten minutes, then pulling it out. If the rod is hot to the touch....a good sign combustion could happen. I think a bale at 160-170 degrees is potentially combustible.