Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pack Rat Mentality

When I was looking for old photos for my dad's birthday post last weekend, I came across my old scrapbook.

It was started for me by my Nana when I was around 7 years old. I couldn't resist wiping the dust off and flipping through the thick, yellowed pages.

I can' t believe I still have this ad! It is nearly 30 years old. Holy cow, that makes me sound old. It is the actual "for sale" ad for my very first pony. We found it hanging on the bulletin board of the grocery store my family shopped at when I was a kid. I've always thought the ad was cool because the owner had hand-drawn the pony instead of attaching a photo. I don't know what made my parents say "maybe" to that pony, but we took the ad home and called the number.

About a week later, I was the exuberant owner of this black Shetland pony. He was one of the most beautiful ponies I've seen. He was like a Friesian..... on the legs of a basset hound.

After I outgrew Black Jack and passed him on to my sister Paint Girl, we purchased Shannon, a young gelding, from the same woman. This was the Welsh/Appaloosa pony that I was jumping in this picture. Yes, I know that outfit I wore probably had you laughing for days.

That pony turned out to be a bit much for this greenie in the end, so I was on the hunt for another pony. I saw a pony listed in the classified section of the local newspaper. I called the phone number and wrote down this information on a piece of yellow legal pad paper. My dad took over the call at one point, writing down directions to the owner's home on the right.

I ended up getting that pony, Saberdance, an Arabian/Appaloosa who was well-trained and one of my favorites.

Here is my homemade, self-decorated exhibitor's number and second place ribbons (I think Paint Girl got the blues on her Appy mare) that Saberdance and I won at the neighbor's play day. You can see the picture in the middle, we are high-tailing it for home after running the poles or barrels.

I love strolling down memory lane. I wonder, is it weird that I still have all of these mementos after all of these years? I guess my mom always called me a "pack-rat" for good reason.

Anyway, I'm off to pack away more things I plan on keepin' for the next 30 years......


28 comments:

  1. I don't think that is being a pack rat. I think those are some awesome memories. I love to look at old scrapbooks. I really wish I had kept more with ribbons and such in it. It's so neat that you have the sale ad. Now a days everything is done over the computer. Not fun hand drawn pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories to be cherished!

    I have kept Savannah's ribbons and back numbers, they are hanging in her room and on her closet door! I guess as we get too many I'll take the older ones and put into a book for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to keep treasures and reminicse

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice that you have all those momentos from your past, and the memories that go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you still had this! Sren't you glad you're a pack-rat! We bought 3 horses from Norine! Didn't remember the drawing until I saw it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Jack is adorable, and the seller had quite the artistic skills. That ad would have drawn my attention too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! My mom's been sorting through lots of boxes lately and sending pictures and stories she saved from us kids growing up. It's funny how somethings stick with you, and some really make you go "Oh, my! I can't believe we did that!" Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this doesn't qualify you as a packrat. The question is whether or not you like to keep all of the little mementos from your past? LOL!!!!

    I still have some of my 4-H record books and a lot of my old show ribbons, so I guess I am not much better, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Pony Girl,

    I don't think it's strange you're a pack rat. It's in your DNA. Everyone got the gene but your Mom. Buba had it , Nana has it, my Mom, Horse Dreams and I all have it. I just started throwing out some unnecessary junk from High School in the last year. So feel no guilt, as long as you're attached and have the room, I say keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so cool!!!! That first one, the one with the hand drawn Shetland, is AWESOME! What a neat momento from your childhood!

    And I missed it - you said in a post the other day that you got a new camera - what'd ya get?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not strange at all, I still have the bill of sale from my favourite horse!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still have a lot of old momentos and pictures and such from my childhood and beyond. I love to go back and reminisce about the "good old days". I don't think it's strange at all, and if it is to some people - who cares? I've always been very sentimental and emotional - after all these years, I'm finally realizing that that's just who I am and there's no changing it. Oh well.
    Your Arab/Appy pony was so adorable! I'll bet you have tons of good memories with him. They were patient with us weren't they?
    There's an old saying that says that -
    "God protects children and fools". I've always liked that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont think it is pack ratting at all LOL I still have a scrapbook that I get out once and awhile and go through! I started blogging when I wanted to scrapbook about all the horses I have had in my life, I guess it is a virtual scrapbook now! I still need to put all those old photos in a scrapbook, you know the ones from before digital pics LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. {Reddunappy}~ You just triggered a thought! I recently saw someplace online recently....a place that will put your blog into a book, kind of like a photo scrapbook format! Oh dear, now I don't remember where I saw it??! Anyone? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know you had a scrapbook of all our old ponies and horses! I remember that drawing of BJ.
    I have kept all my ribbons and trophies from my showing days, they are packed away in a box under my bed. Someday when I get the barn of my dreams I will put them all up in my tackroom so I can look at them everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. if you find out the name of the online scrap book blog place...let me know!!!
    Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful memories! You need to do an online scrapbook for sure! I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so envy your history with horses. I just have years of longing LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. NO it's not weird!!!! It's awesome!!! If you can't reflect on where you've been then where is the fun?!?! I love your old memories, they keep us all entertained!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way cool. I think all that old stuff is great. How neat is it that your grandma started an album for you? i love that.

    I can't wait to check back in thirty years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hay,Hay,Pony Girl,
    Wanted to let you know I've left you and a few of the family bloggers a bit of treasure over at my Loveleigh place, so race on over to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That hand drawn ad is a collector's item. When have you ever seen anything like that before? You're so lucky to have all those things!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is nice! don't throw away any of those keepsakes. you are lucky you got to ride when you were young, we begged for a pony but always got a 'no' instead...cute photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. when it comes to memories of magic of horses and those special times.. that's not a pack rat... that's packin' memories

    gp

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Pony Girl, Pat Wagner did an awsome post explaining flair when I asked her for us

    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1085368321241152756&postID=8612575934636171894&page=0

    Here is the adress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What great memories to treasure and have in a scrapbook. I think you're lucky to have it and should keep it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it is fantastic that you have all those photos from your yesteryears. I just discovered a large envelope of old negatives and noticed there many negatives of when my sister and brother were young. I have no actual photos of my brother and cannot wait to get them developed. My mom was not a pack rat and threw everything away. What a shame!
    I plan on keeping the little things that mean a lot to me, and maybe tacky or things my kids may not be too keen on, but it is memories that my kids can enjoy for a long time to come.
    I love coming to read your blog, makes me want to read your whole families blogs.
    take good care Ponygirl

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin