Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chillin' With The Copper Pony Crew

I spent my Easter weekend with the Copper Pony Crew. That would be my mom Dusty Devoe, and my driver (a.k.a. my dad, or Papa.)

I had my new camera delivered to my parents' place, and I was relieved that it arrived the day I got there, despite a back-ordered lens. So I did get to test it out while there.

We had a busy, busy few days. When my parents lived at the beach, we relaxed. I went beach combing for shells or agates. I sat on the deck in the sun and read. Here, they are close to town so we are on the go more. Shopping, antiquing, running errands, going to visit other family, or to the barn.

Well, some of us were on the go. My parents' dog, Rosie, spent a lot of time pouting about the rain and giving me her depressed eyes.

When it's too rainy, Pony Girl doesn't take her on as many walks, and the walks are why she likes her Pony Girl to visit! How can I resist this velvety rosey nose?

After running to the feed store for wormer for My Boy and grain and treats for the Copper Pony, my driver took me the long way home. I found a few interesting subjects to snap photos of.

This pit stop had some antique cars, gas pumps, and signs.

Seems like a scene from an old movie could be shot here!

We did go to the barn to see and work the Copper Pony. My mom and her sister, my aunt from Cowgirl's Grace decided to ride, so they saddled up.

Here is Dusty Devoe and my dad chatting. I think my mom is taking a picture of Dusty rubbing his head on my dad, probably for her blog. Make that copper pony stay in his own space, Papa! Dusty likes to rub his head on his people. It's an endearing and affectionate gesture, I'm sure. We nicknamed him "Curious George" because he is always moving his head around.

I took a few pictures, despite dim lighting in the indoor arena. I like this one of Dusty's muzzle. You can see the wet spot on the bridge of his nose, from standing outside on a rainy Easter day. And his little white whiskers, which were clipped right after this ride.

Albert's bridle has such fun detail, and it's just flashy enough to highlight his lovely dappled Arabian head.

God finally turned off heaven's faucets around 7:00 p.m. on Easter Sunday, so I was able to take Rosie for some fresh air.

She was intently watching the neighbors across the way, and I was able to capture an expressive head shot. I wish I was as photogenic as this dog!

My creative cousin Sares made these scrumptious cupcakes for Easter and was kind enough to share them with us. They were a perfect after Easter dinner treat. Aren't they fun? You can find the recipe on her "Loveleigh Treasures" blog here. Easter might be over but you have to use up those candy eggs somehow, right?

My parents get the R.F.D. television channel. I swear every time I sit down in front of it, there is nothing on but polka dancing or cattle auctions! One night I got lucky and caught Ken McNabb, Craig Cameron, and Julie Goodnight's programs, which I always learn something from.

Only someone playing with a new camera would walk around the house and take pictures of odd things.....like the handles on pots and pans. I mean, hardly an interesting subject at all, but I do like seeing how the camera chooses to focus. I'm having so much fun! Oh, and I think you can now click on the pictures to bring them up full-size, which will really show the detail!

Today, I am back home. I'm still on vacation and it looks like the weather is improving. I'm hoping to get in some quality time with my spotted pony tomorrow!

31 comments:

  1. Great pictures with the new camera! I miss you Pony Girl and so does Miss Cowgirl Rosie. She pouted half the day after you left!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. New camera seems to be working! My husband, who is a serious photographer (not of horses, unfortunately), loves to take pictures of pots and pans - so you're not so strange - or maybe he's strange too! I liked the photo where Albert is giving you the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay Pony Girl, would you email me the picture of Albert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I can really see a difference in your pictures! Now I am having some major camera envy!
    my favorite is the fuzzy chin shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosie is so gosh darn cute! How could you say no to her. Looks like you and that new camera are working good together! Can't wait to see what else to snap a pic of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! new cameras are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the gas station and blacksmith shop pix. What a charming place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love the pictures you are taking with the new camera. I use a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and really love the detailed digital pictures it takes. I really like the blacksmith shop and gas station pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Boy!! A new camera! What did you get. The photos are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that your home I will be the new test subject! At least since I am on a trial I will
    be at court all day and you can't test me, hee hee!
    Maybe the weather will be nice this weekend and we can get something done around here, like tryin' out that new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some great pictures -- I agree, the one spot could be used for making an old movie. Your pictures make me realize just how awful mine are! But then I never really took it very seriously - I never even read the book that came with the camera. I just dial a setting and shoot!! My horse likes to rub her head on us, too. When our German student was with us and when her mother came to visit, they both said you should not let a horse rub its head on you. They say that is something they do to animals that are of a lower status than them. I don't really buy into that -- I think it is an affectionate gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos! I can definitely see the difference. Looking forward to more :-) I can't wait to see your pony through that new lens!

    ReplyDelete
  13. {Regina}~ Interesting....It could be a sign of status. I think horses do it to get attention or to signal something to the other horse. I think it can be an impatience thing, too. Or, just an itch. Or- just a way of saying "hello, I like you!" I guess it depends on the situation they do it in.
    And so far, I have only dialed a setting on my new camera and shot, too! Still reading up on how to have more control over the shots, and I'm a long way from manual mode! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is too much fun there with a new camera!
    Nice creative shots!
    I bet it was a blast day..and I would be sad too after everyone parted home..those family days leave that loney feeling, when they are that good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. {Allhorsestuff}~ You are SO right! It's hard to leave family, for canines and humans. I always get a little bit sentimental! :) I know my parents love spending time with us and would probably be fine if my sis and I just moved back in with them, LOL! Well, maybe.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your new camera takes fabulous pictures! Rosie is such a cute! Its so cool that you can share your love of horses with your family. My dad rides, but we live 3.000 miles apart :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pictures, sounds like you had a great time!!! Can't wait to see more pics with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a nice time. I love those pictures of the antique car and wagon. It does look like an old movie set. All of the critters looked wonderful in the pictures too! Hope you get some ride time in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had a fun-filled Easter-Weekend! I will be commenting back to you on my post about my mare Shuttle and my niece. So stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there. I haven't been able to read your blog for awhile, due to family deaths and illnesses, but I see you have done some "re-decorating" and it looks great!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and offering condolances for our little goat that got killed by the dogs- my goats had been sneaky and wandered onto the grass hay pasture next door, where the dogs got our aby. So- it was my fault really.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you had such an enjoyable weekend! Love the pictures - enjoy the new camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The sky picture is awesome. And talk about a trip back in time with the Standard Oil station. That car just makes the picture.

    So, how do you like the camera? You've got some great shots, so must be doing okay with it! Anxious to hear more about the pros and cons of upgrading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new camera seems amazing and you're obviously having so much fun with it! Rosie is really a photogenic dog! Any plans of getting a dog yourself? Or is My Boy not willing to share his Girl with anyone else? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL pictures! Wow! Making me want to upgrade my camera again already! :) I love Rosie's nose and the old town. And the sky. And the pots (I totally do that!) Actually, I love them all! Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty pictures. Love the one with the old car in front of the rustic filling station. Horse muzzles and doggy noses are cute! Looks like you have a nice camera, and must be fun to have a whole family that blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that photo of Rosie! And the old town shots are awesome, it looks like someone should be sitting out front playing a banjo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you had a great weekend with your folks!!! Why didn't you use an umbrella to walk Rosie??? How could you stand that pouty little face and not give in and walk her in the rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. {DR}~ When I visit the parents, I usually go out on Rosie's first morning walk with dad. He goes rain or shine or snow! But this visit, I slept in! ;) I walked her again with Sares and the man cub later in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You got some really cool shots.. love the old wagon picture, and the horses noses with the bits.. now I really want a new camera!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have 2 horses, my 22 yr old QH and our big youngster 3 yr old gelding that just love to give us loving all over our shirts. It is such a joy when they snuggle like they do.

    I too am snapping away like crazy. When we were in California to visit the kids, hubby said I took over 120 pictures in 2 days... LOL
    Enjoy your camera and I am sure we will have more great pictures to see from you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin