Sunday, November 9, 2008

Raindrops Were Fallin'

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head.

And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed.

Nothin' seems to fit.

Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'.....

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun. And I said I didn't like the way he got things done. Sleepin' on the job.

Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'. But there's one thing I know. The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me. It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me.

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head. But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red. Cryin's not for me, cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'......

I hadn't seen my horse in two weeks. That has been the longest I've gone since last winter! Sunday was supposed to be the better weather day out of the weekend....it was not. But other than a light drizzle and puddles in the arena, all was well.

My Boy was fairly easy to catch. While he watched, I cleaned his turnout shed first. Then we played cat and mouse a bit. I staying calm and relaxed, approached, rubbed him on the neck, then walked away. Eventually, when he stopped turning away from me, I took him by the halter and snapped the lead rope on. Then, we worked on haltering over the breakaway. He remembered what we worked on a few weeks ago and was really good today. He dropped his head when I put light pressure on the bridge of his nose, pushed his nose into the halter, and stayed relaxed as I put my arm over for the crownpiece....his nose was practically already on the ground looking for reinforcement. I don't care if I have to cookie him after every haltering for the rest of his life, as long as he doesn't pull back. We'll work on this all winter, until I can get him to drop his head on command, along with some round pen work to get respect. By spring, once the pasture has dried up, my goal is to remove the breakaway halter and go back to catching him while halter-less. I can't play the chase-the-stinker-until-he's-tired game right now, it's too risky to have him running all over the slippery muddy pasture.

I really don't mind bundling up and working with my horse at this time of the year. As long as its not pouring. I like the sight of the fall leaves, the soft drip of rain from the trees, the smell of someones wood stove in the air. It's a quiet, peaceful time. I know that I will soon get to go inside, put on warm dry clothes, and curl on the couch with a mug of cocoa. And, that I'll be feeling content that I made the effort to spend some time with my favorite equine friend, even when just staying in and having that cocoa was probably my first choice for a wet Sunday afternoon.

Because I'm free....... Nothin's worryin' me......

19 comments:

  1. Oh honey, didn't your cousin K teach you anything? Try a little Bailey's or Godiva liqueur in that cocoa next time!

    Seriously, wish you could have had the fabulous weather for your ride that I had today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like he is coming around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks so beautiful there even if it rained. You still have leaves....ours are gone...done, finished. Just get to the barn to see the boy more! I am sure he misses you when you are absent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hummed along as I read and thought of Paul Newman and Robert Redford...
    Thanks for the song and memories too! Glad you had a goodie day..wow 2wks!

    I took a very soggy ride today...really got wet, but it was not cold at all.I got called an "Intrepid Rider" for the second time in 2 days...my new Nickname?
    It did Smell lovley out there! I was thinking of the Chicken Noodle Soup I was going to make later for the hubby ad I!
    ...Nothin' worrin' me either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love that song... and I adored those photos!!! Gorgeous...

    We so need rain around these parts that I quite envy you your wet ride! Do you wear Drizabones?? Like Aussies do when riding in wet weather?? (My pics are here: http://bushbabe.blogspot.com/2008/06/drizabones-and-freedom.html)

    Hugs
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Cousin, with the song and the photos. If i had been there, i would have fixed you a cup of Leah's "special cocoa!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. you people and your fall! man, in texas it is sunny, and hot, about 80 degrees !! all of our leaves are going from green to the ground, no pretty colors! but i feel you, can't stand when weather ruins a day! hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pardner,
    Love the song and photos.
    I am really happy to be paired up with another appy. To quote one of my support crew "appys rule, others drool"

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are getting the weather we had. Next you will be having the weather we have.

    At least we do get fall.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The song was a perfect complement to the beautiful pics.

    They keep telling us we're going to get some rain, but it's just not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that song too, remember singing it in 6th grade choir - man, that dates me huh?? Your post made me feel cozy and secure. Rain's not really all that bad huh, especially when you're wearing your Mucks--love those boots - aren't they great?? I feel just like you do when I get all bundled up and go fool around with my horse, even if I don't get to ride, they make me feel oh so much better!! - whatever the weather! It sure would be boring if there never was a change of seasons. Makes one appreciate warm sunny days all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man oh man did it rain last weekend or what??? And you guys up North definitely got the brunt of it!

    I was able to ride in a covered arena on Friday and Sunday, so I only got wet in between the trailer and the arena...lol!!!

    Glad that you were able to spend some quality, although wet, time with your Boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are way too young to know that song! I love the new picture on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that song! Lovely post. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so good that Your Boy was easier to catch!! Sounds like your hard work is paying off.

    We just got a new horse, Peanut. He is awesome with the kids, but super stubborn to catch. He will follow a feed bucket anywhere. I will have to work on catching him.

    Those fall colors are beautiful!! I miss all that beauty down here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait 'til I show y'all how WET it is here lately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you're really making progress on the halter front - Congratulations! Raindrops are certainly falling on our heads around here right now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!! I truly enjoy all of your feedback, advice, helpful tips, and stories. You all make me laugh and I learn so much from you, too. I will try to post replies to your comments as often as I can.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin